Monday, February 23, 2015

Jenn Loves Books: Gone Girl

I'm almost always the last person to read a book that everyone seems to be reading. The Divergent series, The Fault In Our Stars, The Help. The list could go on and on. Part of me just worries that maybe the book isn't as good as everyone seems to think it is. So, when everyone (and I do mean EVERYONE) was reading Gone Girl, I just didn't jump on the bandwagon.

I finally sat down and decided to read the book after one of my friends gave me such a hard time about having not read it yet. She insisted I would get sucked right in and read it in no time. She was right.



Gone Girl pulls you in immediately with the disappearance of Nick's wife Amy. Nick comes off as aloof and suspicious, and honestly, a liar. The book is smart and keeps you guessing. Just when I thought I knew for sure what had happened, something else would be discovered and my whole theory would change. I literally would text my friend in all caps "NICK IS SUCH A HUGE LIAR AND I HATE HIM." And then have to recant all those feelings two pages later.

I've heard that Flynn's other two books, Sharp Objects and Dark Places, are even darker than Gone Girl. I also have heard that they're not as widely read as Gone Girl. If you've read either of her other works and enjoyed it, let me know.

Have you read Gone Girl? Did the book keep you guessing until the final pages? Did you like it?

No comments:

Post a Comment