Thursday, February 5, 2015

Flourish: Month One

 

I mentioned earlier this week that I have a mentor through church. She is incredible, and wise, and so clearly hand picked by God to be part of my life. The mentorship program I am participating in is called Flourish: Rooted To Believe.  For January and February our focus is on God's story. We're reading The Story, which is the Bible written into more of a novel. So far it's been great, and is helping me continue to work towards my goal of reading through the Bible in a year!

We've also been reading through Psalm 119 (which is the longest of all the Psalms). Over the last month we have really dug into the first half of Psalm 119, and I cannot get over how much goodness I'm getting out of it. I've never really had guidance on how to just dig into scripture, and spend a whole week meditating on a set of verses, and this time has been radically changing how I approach scripture.  Each time I come back to the week's verses, I feel like I see something new, or understand something a little better.

The best part is, on Friday's all the women participating in the Flourish program instagram a verse, or summary, from the week with the hashtag #Flourish2015. I feel like each week almost the whole passage is represented; it's really interesting to see how God's word speaks to each of us on such an individual basis.

Over the last month, these are the verses that have most struck me:


"I have hidden Your word in my heart; do not let me stray from Your commands." - Psalm 119:10 

What a great opening passage for the year. This passage has become one that I keep going back to; it's such a great reminder that we are not just supposed to read scripture, but know it. Know it so well that it becomes a part of us, buried in our hearts. When I'm tired, and find myself just going through the motions of reading the Bible, this is the verse I come back to to center myself.


"I am a stranger on earth, do not hide Your commands from me." - Psalm 119:19

I love this verse; I love the truth it speaks, that earth is my temporary home. The reminder that Heaven is my true and forever home. Heaven is the place where I am not a stranger. That Heaven is better because I am not a stranger there. This verse challenges me to stop focusing so much on the things of this world, and to fix my eyes on my God who knows me wholly. What a great reminder that I have never been, and will never be, a stranger to my God.


"I will walk around in freedom, for I have sought out your precepts." - Psalm 119:45

God does not want us to be enslaved to anything; with Him there is freedom. His commands do not chain us down. Instead, they set us free. So why do I keep making myself a slave to things that don't matter when my God has already set me free?



"Your word, Lord, is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens. Your faithfulness continues through all generations; You established the earth and it endures." - Psalm 119: 89-90

God's word and works will stand the test of time. He, and by extension, His word are sturdy. He is trustworthy. He will always be faithful. To the very end.

2 comments:

  1. So great Jenn! Your words are so beautiful and such an encouragement to me. I'm so incredibly blessed to have you in my life! God's goodness and love is so wide and so long and so deep and HE loves you soooooo much! Xoxoxox ♡ Psalm 119: 112, 114 spoke to me so loudly this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great Jenn! Your words are so beautiful and such an encouragement to me. I'm so incredibly blessed to have you in my life! God's goodness and love is so wide and so long and so deep and HE loves you soooooo much! Xoxoxox ♡ Psalm 119: 112, 114 spoke to me so loudly this week!

    ReplyDelete